Monday, July 27, 2009

Busted!

Last Friday, I turned in a report to my boss that I was fairly proud of - many hours were spent researching why Pakistan has registered reservations (protests, in other words) to two important anti-terror conventions, the International Convention on the Suppression of Terrorist Bombings and the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material. OK, so it wasn't an earth-shattering report, but I thought it was interesting. I even included an analysis section on why Pakistan doesn't support the terrorist bombings convention. I argued that because the country's military has links to terrorist organizations, any acts they engage in could fall under the convention and Pakistan would be forced, under international law, to prosecute those parties involved.

Whoops! I guess I took that analysis section a little too far for the UN. Upon receiving said report, my boss gave a gentle scolding. If I remember correctly, I think his words were, "If anyone from the Pakistan ever saw this, our entire unit would get fired." Oops.

But one of the lead stories in the NY Times today discusses the relationship between Lakshar-e-Taiba and the Pakistani government. So even if my analytic skills aren't quite what the UN is looking for, at least the NYT is backing me up.

2 comments: