
Well, he filmed the video for "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" in Prague, for one thing. Surprising, yes?

That's just one of the many fun facts I learned about Prague during my weekend trip there. Prague is quite the hot spot in Europe - reminiscent of a giant dollhouse with some junkies and obnoxious British tourists thrown in for good measure. When it comes to central Europe, Prague has everything you need - beautiful architecture like Vienna (without the stuffiness) and some remaining Communist-era vibes like Budapest (but not nearly as grungy). Even better, the Czech Republic is inexplicably cheap. Like, 80 cents a beer cheap.
And the highlights?
1. Franz Kafka is everywhere
I went through a stage in high school where I got really into The Metamorphosis so all the Kafka paraphanalia brought back some good (and by "good" I mean "horribly awkward") memories.

2. Folk dancing festival!
I stumbled upon an international folk dancing festival on my first day walking around Prague. Who doesn't love folk dancing? And not to get all "Cultural Change Institute" on you, but some folk dances schooled the others. The Greeks and Croatians? Awesome. But dance troupes from the Baltic states? Nyet.

3. Jewish Quarter
Beautiful, well-preserved, and home of a legit bagel shop.

4. Museum of Communism
The poster says (shows?) it all.
that museum of communism SUCKS
ReplyDelete