Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A different side of Croatia


Unlike every other good Fletcher
student, I can't name drop war zones or post-conflict societies I've visited. Maybe I could count Mexico given drug violence in the country, but that would be a stretch: my college Mexico trips were a lot more SeƱor Frog's than narcotraficantes.

The weekend, however, provided me with my first glimpse at the aftermath of war. Driving through Croatia, I was struck by how many cities and towns, particularly in the north of the country, still had visible scars from the country's war for independence.

Passing through one town on the way to Zadar, we turned to see a make-shift war memorial -- the remnants of two demolished buildings, bullet-ridden homes and businesses, a destroyed fighter jet, a dozen tanks, and barricades used by UN peacekeepers.



















3 comments:

  1. you're beating me on post-conflict countries...I'm at a grand total of 0. Is it cheating to go to Fletcher and only live in Tanzania and Switzerland? Probably...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're now the Fletcher post-war correspondent. Keep it up and we might send you to Iraq.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee, if you guys are cheating then I am definitely cheating.

    Thanks for the pictures -- so hard to envision what "post-conflict" looks like without them.

    ReplyDelete